In 1716, Peter the Great appointed Frenchman Jean-Baptiste Alexandre Le Blond as the chief architect of Saint Petersburg.
The style of Petrine Baroque, developed by Trezzini and other architects and exemplified by such buildings as the Menshikov Palace, Kunstkamera, Peter and Paul Cathedral, Twelve Collegia, became prominent in the city architecture of the early 18th century.
This year’s Chrism Mass for priests and parishes of the Society of St Wilfrid and St Hilda at St Hugh, Eyres Monsell was a joyous occasion, gathering with Bp Norman (Bishop of Richborough).
Based on his autobiography, in 2013 Martin Scorsese directed the homonymous movie starring Leonardo Di Caprio.
By 1716 the Swiss Italian Domenico Trezzini had elaborated a project whereby the city centre would be located on Vasilyevsky Island and shaped by a rectangular grid of canals.
The project was not completed, but is evident in the layout of the streets.
Swedish colonists built Nyenskans, a fortress, at the mouth of the Neva River in 1611, in a land then called Ingermanland, that was inhabited by Finnic tribe of Ingrians. Peter the Great was interested in seafaring and maritime affairs, and he intended to have Russia gain a seaport in order to be able to trade with other maritime nations. 1] 1703, during the Great Northern War, Peter the Great captured Nyenskans, Later, the city became the centre of the Saint Petersburg Governorate.
He needed a better seaport than Arkhangelsk, which was on the White Sea to the north and closed to shipping for months during the winter. Peter moved the capital from Moscow to Saint Petersburg in 1712, 9 years before the Treaty of Nystad of 1721 ended the war; he referred to Saint Petersburg as the capital (or seat of government) as early as 1704.